Thursday, April 28, 2011

Uruguay

Monday, 21 III 2011

$1 = 19.20 UYU (Uruguayan Peso)

Buquebus took me across Rio de la Plata to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay (3h - 150 ARS).
Heat was pouring from the sky accompanied by humidity. I hope that this won't be a trend from now on or I'm gonna be on the run.
The town itself have Barrio Histórico with old and colorful buildings. It is very pleasant to walk around and relax by the shore... and that's it. For me it got boring after a quick stroll.
I stayed the night ($13) since I bought a bus ticket farther right after getting of the boat for tomorrow.
Uruguayos are really addicted to mate. Almost all of them stroll the streets with a thermos and mate in their hand. I even saw them on scooters snaking around as they were trying to drink it while riding LOL.


https://picasaweb.google.com/maurycy.sarosiek/UruguayColoniaDelSacramento#

Tuesday, 22 III 2011

At 2pm I took a bus to Montevideo (2:30h - 205 UYU). It was pretty weird having Wi-Fi on the bus. Little too much of a civilization for my travel likings.
Matias y Tamara were nice enough to welcome me to their house and devote some time to my tourist needs.
They drove me around town and we went out to dinner with another host couple and two couch surfers.



Wednesday, 23 III 2011

I was excited to explore the city on a bici but... RAIN... my arch enemy!!! It wasn't strong so I still decided to stroll around Montevideo. I visited some art museums and passed through many green plazas that dotted the city each boasting a statue of a person on a horse.
It's a river facing city with beaches to relax on and go swimming. I didn't get to explore it fully but on the other hand I don't care too much about big cities so it was enough.
Today we had a home cooked dinner and a movie for a change. "Kick-Ass" kicks ass jeje.
Gracias por todo Tamara y Matias. I hope I'll be able to return a favor.


https://picasaweb.google.com/maurycy.sarosiek/UruguayMontevideo#

Thursday, 24 III 2011

Next destination: Punta del Este (2h - 165 UYU). Paula came to pick me up at the terminal. I had a surprise waiting for me in a form of a tiny scooter as our mode of transportation. Two of us and a backpack barely fitted and the poor 49cc strained to get us home jeje. I really miss the wind on my face and a furious pull at the slightest twist of a throttle...
It is a very touristy coast town where a lot of rich people have a house and a boat for the summer. Right now the season just ended so there weren't too many people and I enjoyed the peaceful feel to it.
There were two couch surfers already there: Martha from Italia and Herbert from Holland. Three of us were Paula's first couch surfers. She had a spare apartment which she let us use.
After settling in she took us for a walk around the shore and the neighborhood. Nothing really to do except lay on the beach and catch some waves. It was nice but I would be bored to death in no time.
We cooked dinner and chatted away till dark hours over a local brew.


Friday, 25 III 2011

Breakfast at noon and it's all good :)))
Today we went to La Barra and Jose Ignacio. Little towns located a bit down the coast to the east.
La Barra is about 10 minutes from Punta del Este and it's a popular destination for bars and fiestas during summer time. It has a cool roller coaster bridge but I guess the bus driver wasn't in a playful mood and didn't want to floor it and jump the gap jeje.
Jose Ignacio is even smaller and a quiet pueblito. We hitchhiked while waiting for the bus. A WV Bus stopped and gave us a short lift. Funny thing was that as soon as he found out I'm polish he took out a bottle of home made alcohol and it was time for NA ZDROWIE!!! jeje
Uruguay is pretty much flat. Lighthouses and nice beaches scale the coast. I could have traveled up and stop in small, tranquil villages but just the beach and this type of relaxation is not really my thing. I decided to go directly to Florianopolis, Brazil. When I'm really tired I'll come back to rest on these sandy stretches although it's a bit doubtful...
It was Friday and time to party!!! With some of Paula's friends we went to a local bar with live rock band and not enough room. We jumped around till 5am. It was so crowded that really you didn't have to do anything as the crowd was moving as one to the rhythms blasted through the speakers. Fun times!


Saturday, 26 III 2011

Sleeping off the late night and relaxing the whole day. Now and then I need those.
The little scooter was overloaded again with both of us and a backpack as Paula zoomed to the terminal. I got on the bus at 11:30pm bound for Florianopolis, Brazil (17h - 1330 UYU).
Adios Uruguay y mil gracias to Paula, a wonderful host and a selfless person :))) Hasta luego.


https://picasaweb.google.com/maurycy.sarosiek/UruguayPuntaDelEste#

No comments:

Post a Comment